Cows and addiction

I can hear cows. Cows this morning, cows as I was falling asleep. Last night I drove an hour round trip just for some chocolate and kombucha.

Part of driving last night was just for something to do. And I also really wanted chocolate and kombucha.

I'm afraid it is quite easy for me to get addicted to things. I didn't use to like coffee. I mean, from a young age I was captivated by mocha's and coffee ice cream. I did like the coffee flavor so long as there was a great deal of sweetness involved too.

But one time in college my professor, entirely joking, told us that coffee was mandatory for our 8am class. I started bringing coffee to class with cream, no sugar. I didn't love it at first, but I didn't hate it either. Within a week or two I couldn't do without it. And it wasn't even the caffeine. I'm one of those people who can drink decaf coffee and be just as happy.

I didn't like the taste of alcohol before I was 21. I didn't much care for the taste after I was 21. Eventually I developed a taste for it and now I enjoy it a lot, but I don't need alcohol and am quite happy without it.

I didn't like kombucha the first several times I tried it. I thought it tasted like apple cider vinegar, which I hate! Now I love kombucha and will apparently drive an hour to get some.

Even developing a taste for alcohol it took me until this year to really enjoy beer. If I drank it at all I wanted the darkest of the dark, smoothest of the smooth. I still don't like IPA! But I will drink a few beers in an evening and be happy.

I wonder if I could do the same thing with olives, pickles, tomatoes, fish and other things I really don't like the taste of. I have tried a few times, but sometimes it just doesn't change until it does. Beer took 10 years. Still waiting on fish.

So, I don't know if I'm really addicted to any of the above, except chocolate. Definitely chocolate! But it's interesting to me how quickly I can go from disliking certain foods to loving them and craving them!

Now I'm cold. My coffee is gone, and my toes are cold. I'm sitting on the most delightful screened in, wrap around porch, and it's so chilly out. I love it. My favorite weather and I love the slow life here!

Cows. I can still hear you.

6 comments:

  1. This was a cute painting of a post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fun post reminds me of my odd relationship with adult beverages. I was just musing on it the other day, for no particular reason. Being of a conscientious nature, I did not partake of alcohol until I turned 21. However, on the college campus I did once try O'doul's non-alcoholic beer, and it was AWFUL!!! Perhaps I might have felt differently if I had waited and tried the real stuff, but in any case, this early experience left me with ZERO interest in beer. Wine was slightly different. I wanted so badly to like wine! I kept attempting to enjoy it, but I never got over the burn when it was going down my throat. I drank it anyway because I wanted to feel sophisticated, but finally I decided that was just silliness. So I'm a water girl, plain and simple. But I bet I'd like kombucha too if I tried it.

    Enjoy your chocolate and kombucha, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, from the way I wrote my post it might look like I drank before I was 21. My parents occasionally let me taste their wine or drinks and I wasn't even interested. I never drank more than a sip before I was 21. And it took till I was like 25 to actually enjoy wine and mixed drinks. And until I was 30 to like beer.

      I don't think it's necessary to like alcohol and I don't think I'd be too sad if I never had it again.

      Delete
    2. I take it back. I would miss wine in communion. I'm a purist and to me the Lord's supper is bread and wine, and I enjoy wine most in that context!

      Delete
    3. I didn't get the impression from your post that you drank before you were 21. It just amuses me now that I ever wanted to develop a taste for something I didn't like.
      I mean, I could understand if it was something very healthy, like when I disciplined myself to sort of enjoy sardines, but alcohol just to feel sophisticated (in my case; I'm not judging anyone who actually enjoys it, but I don't)...why? It's fun to laugh at myself when I realize the silliness.

      Delete
    4. Yes, it is interesting what we convince ourselves we should like.

      Delete

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...