Look Up!

The redness is back. It's dark this time. Not the bright throbbing glow that drew me last time. It's a deep beautiful red. Is it even the same?

The redness is back and it's pulling me again.

I flinch when I see it. It hurt so much last time. It hurt when I drew near and it hurt as I pulled away from it. Is it even the same red?

The fiery glow that pulled me in last time nearly hurt my eyes it was so vibrant with life. This redness is deep and soothing. I'm not sure if it should be described as vibrant or not. It's full. I must describe it as full.

I see it now. There is a golden glow beyond the red. Mingling in a flash of light.

There is a pain in my chest as I look at the redness. Is the pain a memory or a real feeling? It hurt so much last time! My throat begins to feel sore with the memory.

"Stop." I say to myself. I turn away from the red, but it is all around me. There is no turning from it. I look down and my feet are bathed in the darkness. I look up and rather than feeling trapped I feel close and safe as I see the wide expanse above me. Suddenly there is a dark, deep blue with a myriad of stars.

This tightness, and yet this broad expanse. I should feel nervous. I should feel scared, but the tightness in my chest begins to release. I am surrounded all around by a dark, warm red and above there is so much deepness and light.

Hands slightly open, I begin to turn slowly on the spot looking up at the stars. Is there a familiar constellation in the heavens or are these not my stars? There are so many more than on an average night that it is filling in the expanse. I cannot tell if I should know this place or not.

But I do. Something about it is familiar. No, not familiar. I've never seen this before, but I recognize it. There is something about this that feels safe. I am at home here. Overwhelmed, I fall back but instead of thudding to the ground I fall gradually. The transition from standing to lying is one I hardly noticed.

But suddenly I feel cold. The pain should come, should it not? It hurt so much last time. I was sure that I would shatter.

Instead of enjoying my surroundings I was suddenly shivering in fear. Fear of something that might not happen. Indeed, there was a pleasantness in my chest that seemed to be saying "Do not be afraid." But I was sure that the pain would return and I did not trust the feeling. I curled myself up, looking away from the stars. But folded up, with my face pressed into the ground the red still reached through my eyelids, insistent through my avoidance.

There was no pain, only fear. But the fear began to manifest as pain. My eyelids began to hurt. My stomach knotted with worry and my heart started beating too fast.

"Please stop!" I gasped, pushing on the pain in my chest.

"You are creating the pain." I don't know where the voice came from. I knew it was true, but I didn't know how to stop it. I tried to slow my heart beat just by thinking about it. But thinking about it scared me. I felt so cold and though I tried to stop myself from shivering I could feel my teeth chattering.

Slowly I again became aware of how warm and inviting my surroundings were. But I was still afraid.

"Look up." The voice said.

I was afraid. But how much had it hurt last time? Last time. Everything hurt more than words last time. But then there was peace. I knew that. I knew it then and I knew it now, but trust hurt before the initial plunge.

"Get it over with," I told myself. "You're hurting yourself now. You, and you alone are causing this torment. Look up."

"Look up," the voice that was mine repeated.

But as easy as it would have been to turn my head I couldn't. Resolutely I looked inward. Rolled as tightly as I could I was looking in at myself. Trying to protect my feelings. My heart, my lungs.

But I was causing the tightness. I was causing the pain.

"Look up."

In one violent wrench I tore myself out and looked upward. Light was streaming from the sky. The redness around me and the blue above were mingling together in strong waves. Water poured from my eyes as I beheld the striations of light and color. The beads of wet on my eyelashes added another dimension to the light and colors, refracted in my tears.

But I was safe. Again. Just as I had known I would be. I looked about at the mingling colors and down at the purple and white reflecting off my skin and I laughed.

It was relief. I was safe. I had always been safe. I had caused the feelings of fear and anxiety, but the safety had been around me perpetually. I was safe. I had always been safe.



4 comments:

  1. I appreciate the vividness with which you describe all the colorful experiences! I also like the attached painting that gives a glimpse of the image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not familiar, but safe: what a picture of faith! It’s been years since my tour of Bryn Athyn, but if I recall correctly, was there a pair of stained glass windows opposite one another, one red, one blue, such that the light combined to shine purple on a huge Bible? To me, the internal struggle you described represents a decision I have often faced in this strange world: will I look up and trust God, or try to look inward to my own (feeble) strength and wisdom? Thank you for being a woman of faith. Thank you for writing this. It matches your painting perfectly, and creates a powerful visual image for a spiritual reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. The cathedral has windows on either side of the Word. Both north and south windows are blue with smaller bits of red in them, but it bathes the alter is purple light.

      I definitely have a love for red and blue and the blending of them in to purple.

      I wrote this post not even thinking about that painting, but it's obviously a theme in my life.

      Thank you for comment! This is kinda part 2, of an earlier post that was also not inspired by a painting but ended up fitting very well too! https://crazieryousay.blogspot.com/2017/09/what-blazes.html

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful. I relate to this experience so much. "Let go and know that I am God" Psalm 46:11. It also reminds me a little of the story of Naaman not being willing to wash in the Jordan seven times - there is the irrational human combination of thinking: I need to be saved or I will die and this is going to be hard!! and I going to have to give up my life for it and it will be painful...and combined with that there is an unwillingness to do something that seems simple. It is hard for me to let go of the fact that I am worrying about something because sometimes, my head says "yes, I need to not focus on the fear and I need to shun ______ or do _______" but at the same time I am afraid to let go of the worry in case there is something real within it. I wonder if being sort of obsessed by the gloom/struggle/pain part is just because I really want some spiritual pats on the back for my struggles. Blah!

    ReplyDelete

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...