Mansplaining

To start with, here are a few internet definitions of mansplain:
(of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing. (Wikipedia)
A derisive and condescending term insultingly used by women when referring to a man that they are in a conversation with. The man's point is derided not because his reasoning is faulty or his evidence is unreliable; his point is derided simply on the basis of his gender. (Urban Dictionary)
I'm sure there are lots of ways people use this word that are and are not covered by the above definitions.

I think the Wikipedia definition is funny, specifically this wording "in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing." Regarded by whom?! I can find anything condescending if I want to!

Anyhow, regardless of what other people mean by it, I think it's dumb. Sorry people.

I, for one, am entirely sick of the condescending manner toward men! I don't care about the history of misogyny etc (I mean, I care, but setting that aside) it's absolutely no excuse to treat men as inferior. That's helping no one, especially not women! It's turning us into pretty unpleasant people to be around, and no WONDER women don't have much respect for the men around us when we have turned them into emasculated puppies.

This is not the world I want to live in. Sadly it is the world we live in, and I'm just gonna continue to do my part in supporting men and women in their God given strengths and loves.

Both men and women can be condescending and frustrating to talk to. Both men and women have things to offer to a conversation (I hope most people recognize that!)

And I almost forgot to say, I freaking LOVE mansplaining. Because while I value and appreciate both men and women's advice to me, there is something invaluable to me in having a man's perspective! A perspective that I, as a woman, CANNOT have. He is something that I am not, and something I value and respect because of the unique and wonderful capacities the Lord has given him.

Value your men, people. Value your men!

2 comments:

  1. Alison! You're such a badass, dignified lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come up with a partner term for mansplaining: Wimipulating. Or Womenipulating. I think there's room for it in our human experience, if there's room for mansplaining.
    P.S. Sometimes it isn't 'mansplaining'. It's just a man...explaining...something, to be helpful, or because he actually does know more about it. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...