The Last Attempt

The machines whirred as the couple argued across the lifeless form of their disappointing son.

"He doesn't need an older sister to look up to. He needs a younger sister he can look down on."

"Charming! But you've had your say and it's my turn to design his childhood!" She held up a syringe filled with thick orange liquid. "I want to inject him with these memories and try a different tact this time!"

"Suit yourself! But I warn you that he will not be ready if you give him a mollycoddling older sister!"

"Ready for what?" she spat. "I don't want him ready for any of that, I want to give him something to be proud of! Something that he can choose."

"That's ridiculous! Just watch the last round of his life and see for yourself!" he said pushing past her to turn on the simulation.

"I was there. I saw it for myself first hand!" she said reaching up to stop him from pushing the button.

He slapped her hand away.  "Then you know it was a disaster!" he said, continuing with the sequencing.

"Yes, which is why I want to try this! I don't think it will be a disaster to give him an older sister."

He gave her one cold look before turning back to the machines and answering. "Just remember that we have to live it too, and I don't want another child, even if she is older. We'll have to deal with her too!" He finished the sequence and hit the button and they were plunged into the full living memories of the last attempt.

5 comments:

  1. That is a fascinating concept! Did you say this was a dream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I changed almost nothing. This was pretty much exactly the dream. Creepity parents experimenting on their child in some weird reality where one can program them? Inject memories? I have no idea what was going on. It wasn't too scary of a dream though. More intriguing.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is really freaky. I have a weird vague memory, which I'm assuming is from a dream, that's kind of similar except I somehow consented to circumstances I would be born into and the parents I would get.

    ReplyDelete

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...