You Say Tomato

You say tomayto. I say tomaHto.

I don't know the origin of this phrase nor do I care to look it up.

But I was thinking about it in church this morning. No, it really didn't have anything to do with the sermon, but nevertheless this is what was on my mind.

In this world we seem to emphasize the differences. I don't want to get into politics, but it seems that parties seem to spend all their energy talking about how much better and different they are from the other side and we become more and more polarized.

This spreads to so many areas of life. I find myself guilty of this too. Sometimes I want to be contrary. And sometimes it's not a desire to be contrary, but a desire to stand up for something I care about and so I want to express it differently than someone else.

Because I didn't look up the origins I also don't know why people use the "tomato/tomahto" phrase. But when I hear it, it sounds to me like a "I'm right and you're wrong" sorta thing. Not a "Hey, that's cool that you say this differently!"

People want to be right. So if anyone says something differently or had a different opinion we want them to be wrong.

I want to get better at hearing tomato and rather than hearing the weird pronunciation of that middle "A", I want to say "Hey! It's cool that we both end with that "toe" sound. That's the same, and that's really cool!"

Too often I am jarred by the differences instead of seeing the sameness.

I'm not talking about tomatoes.

4 comments:

  1. The origins of the phrase are actually pretty charming:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

    I LOVE Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers! I've never actually seen the whole film of "Shall We Dance," from which this scene, song, and phrase was taken. (I shall have to remedy that some day.) But apparently, the context was whether they should call off a marriage (albeit a farce marriage).

    Marriage is certainly the context that requires the greatest degree of unity in any human relationship. But I hope even most marriages can survive pronunciation differences, haha!

    I appreciated the spirit of your post. I think we all need frequent reminders like yours. I know I do.

    May God grant us the discernment to know which issues merit dissent, in which contexts, and the heart to do it when necessary in a way that honors each other. May God grant us listening ears, humble hearts, and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Shall We Dance" is SO worth the watch- one of my favorite Astaire and Rogers films!

      Delete
  2. Love this. You are wise and funny <3

    ReplyDelete

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...