Tracing the tears.

How often do you let tears fall where they will? I always try to stop them, sometimes before they even start, or if I let them fall I try to catch them with a sleeve or a tissue. But when they fall uninhibited, do you notice where they go? They don't drip nicely from your eyes. They slide in interesting patterns. One just slid along my nose, and hit my nostril. Do tears flow up? What's with that?

One tear followed and dripped right across my philtrum to my closed lips. And I can feel the salty tears stinging my chapped lips. I cannot taste the salt because my lips are sealed. But I can feel a few tears pooling on the verge of getting in.

One falls along the curve of my chin, and though it originated in my right eye, it has crossed my entire face and is slipping down the left side of my neck.

Tears do not fall down. They seem to defy gravity, or at least get themselves into fascinating situations if you let them. I am sitting straight, not tilting my head to change the patterns. They fall where they will.

Notice the tears; They create their own paths, like lightening across a sky.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you were crying, but that's a very pretty picture you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. My best friend in college had the most beautiful blue-green hazel eyes, and whenever she cried, they would turn a brilliant shade of blue mixed with some turquoise, her favorite color. On several occasions, we shared our college-age angst in sisterly tears, only to have her interrupt with the unusual question, "How do my eyes look?" We laughed. Sometimes it was helpful to have a distraction.

      Delete

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...