Writer's Block

And again words are escaping me. Why? Why am I afflicted with writer's block. I understand not knowing what comes next in the story and being stuck on a plot point or how to write it or resolve it. I haven't touched any of my stories in months. One story died when I went off the outline. I need to take it back to where it diverged and just try to write from there, like nothing else had happened. Just try a different path to the fountain. Throw out the blockage. Well, I can keep it in my deleted scenes folder. But write I must.

Can writers block be the inability to put pen to paper? Anyone could write something. Why is a blank page so daunting? I fear the first page in an empty book. I psych myself out that I can't mark up a book with such potential. But once the book has its first page written in then it isn't intimidating. So why the block? It's an empty page. Literally anything could be written on it. Feather, blue, ground, elevator, bucket, quicksotic. Haha! That's definitely not how you spell that, but that's the point. Anything. Words. Feelings. Colors. Bandaids. Pandas. I could write about anything. That should be freeing, but it's limiting. Everyone needs perimeters. Having no boundary creates too much to figure out. Limit the choices. Writer's block springs then from there being too much a character could do, not too little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...