Cold

Dead? That was not at all what I was expecting. I wasn't even sure what to say in response. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat and waited. I wasn't even sure if I should look at him. Could I meet his eyes? What was going on?

I waited. Finally I looked over at him and the look on his face prompted my pity, and I broke.

"Dead?" I really didn't know what to say. "Do you want to talk about it?"

He began to nod slowly. "I think we should," he finally said.

"Do you want me to drive us home?" He didn't answer.

"Would it help if I asked questions, or shall I just wait?"

"You can ask," he muttered.

But where to begin? I wasn't even sure what to ask.

"Well," I began hesitantly. "Who was she? What happened?" I knew the questions were too broad, but I didn't know how to be more specific without being impertinent.

He didn't answer right away. He stayed motionless in his seat, but at last said "She fell through the ice."

"Oh, my gosh!" I whispered.

And then he was just talking. "I saw her when they finally pulled her from the water. She was like a statue. Her eyes were still open and there was nothing in her face that read "peace". She was in agony. I remember hearing her screams through the ice as the current swept her under. She was no where near the thin ice that she fell through. She died, panicking to get out, stuck under a thick layer of ice that we couldn't break through. I don't know whether she drowned or froze to death."

On the word "death" his voice cracked and he stopped talking. I could hear him swallowing. I glanced over at him and he was biting his lip. I could tell he was working hard not to cry.

"It's okay," I said softly, trying to invite him to cry if he wanted to.

"No! It's bloody well not okay!" he cried, and I recoiled. I knew that he was just trying to hide from the memory and hide from his own pain and that he was not mad at me. But being angry was easier than being sad.

"I didn't mean that!" I said.

Silence fell between us again as he sniffed slightly and shut down.

At last I ventured another question.

"Do you want to talk about it more?"

"Only if you ask the questions," he said. "I can't offer any information."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because it's too bloody hard to talk about!" he said, his voice becoming elevated again.

"We don't have to talk about it," I assured him. "If you don't want to talk about it, we don't have to at all."

Silence again.

I looked over at him as he sat there chewing his lip. I couldn't tell if he wanted me to ask him questions or if he wanted me to leave him alone. We hadn't been dating that long. I guess that's why he had never brought this up before. It definitely explained why he was reluctant to go to hockey with me. But he had come so many time with me before and never said a word. I thought he was enjoying himself. I mean, I could tell he didn't love it, but he had been a willing participant. This was the first time I felt like I had dragged him against his will. And now I was wondering what it was about this time that had triggered him. And I still didn't know who she was. I wanted to ask so many more questions, but I felt like it was for myself; I only wanted to ask questions so that I might know what was going on. What could I say or do for him? I didn't even know if it would help for him to tell his story or to be left alone.

I shivered, and realized how cold it had gotten in the car as we sat there in this random parking lot. But the shiver was about more than the chill on my skin.

I turned the key in the ignition and Laif looked up.

"Are we going?" he asked.

"I just wanted to heat the car back up," I told him. "But we can go wherever you like."

"I'm sorry I made us late for hockey," he muttered.

I turned to face him. "Look," I said. "Hockey doesn't matter. I'm not going to hockey tonight. What do you want to do?"

He reached over and grasped my gloved hand, but said nothing. I squeezed it back, wishing I could do more.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! NOW I understand why you had to write that last sentence in One Winter's Day. It was a mystery to me previously! And I see this continuation with your previous "Hockey Skates" sketch. Nicely done, bringing them all together! I'm curious whether it was premeditated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so I started Hockey Skates knowing that the reason Laif didn't like Hockey was because something bad had happened on the ice. I was pretty sure a girl he loved had died. I didn't know if it would be his sister, wife, girlfriend.

      Then before I could finish that sketch I needed to write the back story and Laif and Marta's scene just came to me. It was so pretty and golden. I pictured this golden light around them despite the gray day because of the joy they had.

      While writing that I knew that it was gonna end badly but I kept fighting it. I really didn't want that to happen.

      That's an interesting thing I'm kinda just realizing, I don't think I can write a bad or sad scene until I know what happens later. Like I could write something bad as a flashback or whatever. If I hadn't previously written Hockey Skates I might have let Marta live.

      I think it has to do with wanting control. Like I have to know that my characters will be okay. So writing something sad is just a crappy thing to do. I don't want to do it, because I want life to be better than it is. One of my favorite lines in Silver Linings Playbook is "Life's bad enough as it is, can't we just have happy ending once?"

      And so when I write fiction I want the people to be happy. I can't just kill someone off or make something terrible happen to them. Unless I have an outline and know that later on the person will be okay. I know that's not life. I know that people have crappy things happen to them and they aren't okay, but because I believe in the Lord I think that He can bring good out of anything, so my stories have to reflect that hope.

      AND now I think I might turn this comment in to it's own blog post, of sorts. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
    2. Fascinating response! Yes, I think you should definitely turn this comment into its own blog post. I was actually thinking as I was reading it (even before the penultimate paragraph), "I wonder if that's something like the way the Lord feels when he allows evil and pain into our lives. He is the Storywriter and we are His characters, after all." The problem of evil is still such a mystery to me, but I know His fatherly heart beats with tender love for His children.

      Delete
  2. JEEPERS!

    It's tense and compelling.

    ReplyDelete

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...