Why me?

Sometimes in a pickle we find ourselves asking "Why me?"

Why did this have to happen to me?

Do you ever ask yourself, "Why not me?" It's kinda the same question. But I mean it flipped.

We do often look at misfortune befalling another and one of two things could happen. You could say "Why did that have to happen to such a wonderful person?!"  but you could also say, "Glad it wasn't me!"

I don't think of myself as a masochist or wanting anything bad to befall me, but sometimes I look at a friend and genuinely wish that the bad thing had happened to me instead.

Example: My friend got cancer. She's married with two small kids. I genuinely wish that I had gotten cancer instead of her. Maybe it's weird, but she has a beautiful life, and while I do love my life, I don't have two small kids who I now cannot even pick up and hold.

In short, I'm expendable and she's not. That might seem harsh and like a terrible thing to say about myself, and I don't mean it quite as badly as all that. Maybe the truth is that I should not view myself as expendable. I should realize my value to this world, and I do, at times.

But this isn't meant to be a depressing post. I just wish that sometimes I could take the fatigue or sickness from a friend so that they could go on and power through the hardships of their life! How do I take some of the burden from my friends so that they can go forward in strength?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mask Thoughts

You know when you're driving and everyone going slower than you is an idiot, while everyone going faster than you is a maniac? That'...